Petite Bourgogne

Petite Bourgogne

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Sweet Treats

One of the benefits (or curses) of living in Montreal is the fabulous food.  If you have a sweet tooth like I have, there are many wonderful temptations.  In the last six weeks, I had the pleasure of sampling a long time favorite and trying some place new.

Olivier Piffaudat Chocolatier Alchimiste is the inspiration of my good friend Olivier.  Over the last two years, he has been building his business and his collection of tasty and unusual chocolates.  Just before Valentine's Day, he was part of Je t'aime en chocolat - a celebration of all things chocolate at Marché Bonsecours.  I went to check out his latest inventions and to get acquainted with Montreal's other chocolatiers.

The exhibition space was packed!
Olivier's table was filled with a selection of every chocolate in his collection.  With Valentine's Day coming, I bought one of each of his chocolate cocktails.  What are chocolate cocktails?  They are a re-imagination of your favorite, classic cocktails in chocolate form, such as Bloody Mary, Cosmo, Pina Colada and, my favorite, Margarita.  For the exhibition, he was also selling Mexican Hot Chocolate.  I love a good Mexican Hot Chocolate, so I had to get a cup.  It was thick, sweet, rich with the kick of hot chili.  Perfect for a cold winter day.

O.P Chocolatier Alchemiste's Collection  
In March, I held a tea and macaroon event with some friends at La Maison du Macaron in my neighbourhood.  With over 20 different flavours to choose from, it was hard to pick just three to have with my tea.  Almost all of us had the macaron du mois, a delicate maple and cashew nut.  I am always a fan of seasonal products, so I selected the Pailleté Feulletine and caramelized banana macaroons to round out my trio.  If you're looking for a small, quiet and delicious dessert place to have a coffee or tea with friends, I can recommend La Maison du Macaron.
Tea and a trio of macaroons

Good thing Spring is around the corner.  The warmer weather will get me doing more active things outdoors, distracting me from these sweet treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment